Wednesday, May 7, 2014

BZM Picks - The Stone Soup by Ann McGovern

Book: The Stone Soup
Author: Ann McGovern




Z got The Stone Soup in her May Tale in a Mail, and I must say it is an AMAZING Book. Z read it in the morning and started asking for 'stone soup' had to make soup for her, without the stone of course. The version we are reading is written by Ann McGovern. It is taken from folktale, though this one is pretty different from the original. I remember reading one of the versions in school as a part of our curriculum. 'Fancy That'. 

Why I picked it and what was my Reaction: Well, when the team was doing it's research on May Tale in a Mail based on the theme of food, this book was recommended by a couple of moms, it also received amazing reviews, I had to pick it up and check it. When I did pick it up I was smiling, partly because it is a very funny story and partly because it did take me back to childhood.

The Toddler's take: I really have to stop under-estimating Z. I thought she will take some time to understand. She on the other hand found the book to be hilarious. The day I read it to her for the first time, she demanded a stone soup.

What it is about: It is about this poor man, who sees a house and asks for food, the lady doesn't listen to him and tells him there's no food at home. So, this clever little guy tricks the old later and convinces that he can make the most amazing soup out of a stone which would be 'fit for the king.' He insists she puts in more ingredients to add to the flavour of the soup. This book has been in print for more than 30 years now.

How We Read it
: I narrate the story to Z, and as we go ahead and read through pages, we discuss what is happening on each page.

Favorite Line: 'Fancy That'

Flipkart it:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please understand this is a kid-friendly blog and your comments would be deleted if they are found offensive in any manner. Hope you understand

Wild Karnataka – Experience

We were ecstatic when we got to know we were going to see  Wild Karnataka.  It was a long trip to Vega City mall, Bannerghetta Road, Benga...